My work has appeared in the Albany Business Review, Portland Press Herald, the Albany Times Union, The Lowell Sun, Thomson Reuters, the Guardian, and The Daily Free Press, among others.
Here are some of my clips:
Residential Real Estate
- What it took to finance one “affordable” housing development in Troy: It took six years, $18 million, support from federal and state governments and coordination among five funding sources and dozens of partners to build 51 affordable apartments in Troy’s North Central neighborhood.
- ‘The $500K home is now $650K’: A perfect storm of increased labor costs, inflation and higher interest rates is driving up the cost for single-family homes in the Albany area, and across the country.
- Homebuilder lands financing for phase one of Halfmoon development: It took more than five years for Chris Abele to get all the approvals and the land ready to redevelop the old Betts Farm in Halfmoon, where Abele Homes has approval for a 201-lot residential subdivision off Route 236.
- How New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s strategy stalled Albany’s nanotech dreams (Recognized by SABEW’s BIB awards and the New York Newspaper Association)
- She’s the Boss. But the state isn’t convinced. In an effort to root out fraud and abuse in the Minority- and Women-owned Business Enterprise program, business owners and others say the state has made the process so complex it’s hurting businesses it’s trying to help.
- Lack of diversity at the top: In Albany’s executive suites, the faces are mostly white and male. How organizations can change that — and why inclusion matters for the region’s future
- The impossible balancing act: The pandemic’s impact on work and family is disproportionately affecting women — and it threatens to wipe out decades of economic progress. Something has to change.
- Unraveling MyPayrollHR owner Michael Mann’s complex scheme (2019 reporting recognized by the New York Newspaper Association)
- Wages, staffing, substance abuse: It’s getting harder to run a restaurant
- How to make it from prison to paycheck (Recognized by the New York State Press Association)
- This college has one of the worst credit ratings in the country. How its new president is focused on saving the school
- Jaime Ortiz pushes ahead with new restaurant. An inside look at how an up and coming restauranteur, Jaime Ortiz, is pushing forward with his new $1.5 million restaurant despite challenges brought on by the pandemic.
- This CEO wants your heart
- NYC, Boston, Upstate NY: Luxury wedding options make region a destination (Recognized by the New York Newspaper Association)
- Maine woman resisted the Nazis on beat-up old bicycle (Ran as an A1 Sunday centerpiece)
- Inside CommerceHub: From $100,000 loan to $1.1 billion sale
- Behind Apprenda’s 12-year run
- 20 years later: Where Tech Valley stands today